Friday, March 13, 2009

Hospitalization Baby; but no baby yet!

The baby's heart rate is 151, my blood pressure was 155 over 77.

Well, as most of you know, I was in the hospital from Tuesday, to Thursday for high blood pressure. I am still in shock that I was there for so long. I really just thought I would go there for a few hours for observation. I was wrong.

Tuesday was a really normal day. Jon has been getting ready for the jr. high retreat this weekend, and I was helping as much as I could. On a side note Jon has been really worried about leaving me while he i gone this weekend. I was planning on going to the women's retreat so he wasn't so worried, but still concerned he was going to be away from me. So we did our things that needed to be done Tuesday. We went to Walmart and got a few things and while Jon was in electronics I was looking down the cleaning isle, I just started praying for this weekend. Praying that the enemy would not get in the way and put me into labor while Jon is doing what the Lord wants him to do.

The week before we were going over Philippians 4, about not being anxious for anything but pray for everything. Giving all your cares to the Lord. I have always been taught that but, this time in study it really penetrated deep. I didn't know why but it stuck for some reason.

After walmart we went home and I wasn't feeling "normal," I can't even tell you how I felt, but I knew something wasn't right. But I didn't worry about it because I know we were going to my dr. appt in a matter of hours so I would mention it. We decided to go get lunch at panera bread. Oh boy am I glad we ate a good lunch considering I didn't know I wouldn't eat again until 10pm.

We got to the dr. office, and were waiting, and at that point I felt fine, but thought I would still mention it. We were called in and the nurse did All her normal things one of which is taking my blood pressure. Before I even said anything about how I was feeling, she said, "your blood pressure is high, how have you been feeling." So I told her hat I couldn't pinpoint how I felt but know something was wrong. So she said the dr. would be in soon. So we waited and waited, and waited. This was really unusual because our appt from start to finish were always about 30min. from the time we check-in to the time we leave. At this point we had been waiting for 45 min. just in the room. I looked at Jon and said they are waiting to see if my blood pressure will go down. The dr. came in and took my blood pressure about three more times, and said, "okay, I am going to send you to L&D for observation because you blood pressure is not going down."

We walked out of the room and all I could do was laugh a little bit. I have been tell myself for a few weeks about how busy this week was going to be and here I am about to be hospitalized for what I thought at the time was a few hours.

Not for the grossed out

My Dad taking one of his obnoxious pictures. I was laughing, that's all you really can do. Right..??

When we got to the hospital, I was really nervous because the dr. never told me how high it was, and I didn't know what was normal. I couldn't' think. So we waited in a long line, filled out a lot of paper work, and sat and waited. While we were waited a family in the lobby was given the news that their family member (who was in a car accident) didn't survive. I have never seen a family react so hard to a death in the family. It was painful to watch. Everybody in the lobby (except the family) was silent. I couldn't help but start to cry. At that point the lady in admitting saw that I was upset, and apologized and said someone would take me over shortly. That was really good considering I could see my heartbeat in blurred vision in my eyes. Not good!

Adah's hand
As soon as I got a room, the nurse explained what was going to happen over the next 24 hours. I'm sure my mouth dropped open when she said 24 hours. I was expecting a few hours, not 24! Then she explained my "urine collection," yes that's what I said. When I had to go to the bathroom, I had to put this cup thing in the toilet, and when I was done pour it into a bucket over ice. Not fun at all! Not to mention I had to have a blood pressure cuff on all the time, and I was hooked up to a fetal monitor. So, when had to go to the bathroom I had to take off my cuff, unplug the monitor, use the restroom, and do that whole precess there. The only thing that would make that process worse would be if I had an IV. Thank you Lord!

The next morning the new nurse assured me first thing in the morning that I would most likely not be going home that day. I was sad but I kept cling to what I had learned in bible study. So I sis just that. I really prayed and asked that the Lord would take any anxiety away from me, and He did!

I had a few people visit me, but one of the most meaningful was from Cheri Arthur. Cheri's husband Ralph recently (like in the last 2 weeks) passed away and was a pastor at Harvest. I was so blessed that she came to visit me, and she came at the perfect time. In the afternoon when my Mom was there. It was soon nice! I felt so blessed because she came to see me when she is still in a time that she is having people minister to he, and the fact that she would feel the desire to come and minister to me was huge!

Thursday, I had the best nurse of my stay, she let me take a shower, and got us a bigger room, private room with a window, and a chair that Jon could actually sleep in. My room before was private, but REALLY small. So this (my favorite) nurse got my room ready with Jon while I was taking a shower. Oh it was so nice. I took a shower the morning I was admitted, but not until Thursday had I had another.

That nurse was giving me the same news about my stay that the nurse the morning before gave. So I was prepared to stay another day. The nurse could see that we really wanted to go home, just to even get quality rest. So she pulled in a dr. to talk about a discharge, the dr. agreed to let me go home with medication, and best rest. And the dr. meant serious bed rest, like I only get up to go to the bathroom and shower.

So that's where I am now. Jon had to leave for the jr. high retreat and I am at my mom and dads doing absolutely NOTHING. They are taking really good care of me, and I know that Jon would not have felt comfortable going if I were with anyone else.

Thank you all for your prayers, I am really feeling it. Jon had only been gone for a few hours, but I am already missing him so much! He has been my sanity in this whole process. It has really takwn a toll on him as well. He was staying with me until 2, and 3 am, and then come back between 6-7:30am. He was really tired by Thursday, and really happy when we were told we were going home. Like I said, thank you for all the prayer, and continue to pray that we get through the next few weeks.


Robyn said...

Oh no! I am glad to hear that the dr's felt you were stable enough to go home on bedrest! I will be praying for all 3 of you!

The Hanes Fam said...

Been praying so much for you. Do what you gotta do to keep that precious baby cookin' just a little longer. :) God is good. Take it easy.

The Romans said...

Oh boy! So sorry. It is great to see how you took it all in stride. I know ALL about being hooked up to monitors and IV's. Thank God your parents live close and can help out. Blessings to you.


CatalogK9 said...

I had no idea! *Out of the loop* I'll be sure to keep your family up in prayer, and I can't wait to see little Adah face-to-face!
In the meantime, try to get some extra potassium (veggies are an outstanding source, as well as sweet and white potatoes, low-fat yogurt, fish, beans, and stone fruit) to help keep your sodium low; this is very helpful in maintaining normal blood pressure. And if you like techno music (Andy Hunter is an amazing Christian progressive trance artist; I recommend his debut album "Exodus"), I find it really helps me relax and just get lost in the music and the worship. I can burn you a copy, if you want!
Anyway... thus ends my advice. *Steps off of soapbox* The Lord bless you and keep you...!
♥, Erin

Kim said...

We are so glad you are home and at your parents house this weekend! We are praying for you & Adah and for Jon at the retreat:) Love you guys!

Kristin said...

I am happy you and baby are doing good. Did they tell you it was pre-e or just high blood pressure? With Aubrey I was on bedrest for weeks because of pre-e and it was no fun! If you need anything or want some company, I would love to come visit :)